Monday, November 9, 2009

Wal-Mart

This may surprise you, but I'm not against Wal-Mart, per se. I just don't like shopping there. I avoid it when I can, but there is one product that I can only get there at the moment, which is Newman's Own Organic canned cat food.

This mania of mine started back when all these pet foods were killing our pets, so I decided to look into higher quality products, to lessen the chances I would poison my lovies. My own research, along with a wonderful article sent to me by my lovely friend Christina, lead me to Newman's Own brand. I buy the dry food, too, but I have to get that at another store across town. Somehow I manage. One more thing about Newman's Own: they donate all their profits to charity. I buy that product whenever I can.

Back to the subject of Wal-Mart. I can't believe the prices there! I get so excited when other stores have cake mixes on sale for $1, or even $0.89. Do you know that right now they have cake mixes AND Stove Top stuffing for $0.78?? No, I didn't buy any. I was duped into purchasing Stove Top for $0.99 this weekend at my favorite grocery store, Wegman's. I thought I was getting a deal, since I had recently bought some for $2.33 when it wasn't on sale. Stove Top is something I only buy when I have a craving, like once a year. I probably wouldn't have bought it again if it wasn't on sale. And I bought like 4, too. I'm still learning about this deal stuff. I've never before even noticed prices, so it's a weird feeling to actually remember that stuff. I don't even look at gas prices, unless it's like $4.

There was something curious I noticed about the Stove Top. There were a few of the chicken variety, and then a ton of the cranberry variety. The cranberry variety you ask?? Yeah, no doubt a weird over-production that didn't sell and ended up on the shelves here.

Then, I noticed almost every can of the Newman's Own cat food was dented. Huh.

I managed to get out of the store with 10 cans of cat food and 4 jars of peanuts, Planter's with sea salt. Those peanuts might last Dave 2 weeks. Might. As I'm waiting to be rung up, I started feeling very strange about loading up on only cat food and peanuts. On top of that, I'm wearing a mis-matched sweatsuit and looking very homely after a rough gym workout. (I justify going shopping like that because I don't know a lot of people here, and the chances of being recognized is nil. Okay, I also think it lessens my chances of being raped. I know I have problems. You don't have to say anything to me about it). So, feeling self-conscious about my crazy spinsteresque purchases and appearance, I start up a conversation about the cat food with the 20-something young man cashier. "Did you know I can't get this brand of cat food anywhere but here? My cats love it!" O.M.G. That so did not help me feel better. I wanted out of there so fast.

I have the worst experiences at Wal-Mart. And I'm on to their Big Lots style reject products.

4 comments:

  1. I'm still laughing at the image you created in my head! This is great stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ah ha HA! That is SO me: running errands looking all harried after the gym or yoga. Thanks for the shout out! xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with you girl. I feel very strange going into Wal-Mart however, sometimes, I get INCREDIBLE deals - a lot of the time of their own mistakes. I once bought a box of those Duraflame logs for the fireplace. It was marked for $2.87. It rang up for like $20 or something like that. So, I showed the girl the price and she fixed it. SO...the guy that had to help her override it new what was up...each individual log IN the box was $2.87 however because it was "their bad" as he declared, I got the whole box for under $3! Woot!
    They also had Swanson chicken broth this week for $0.45 a can! That's like more than 50% off. I don't even use it but once a year or so but I bought a sh!t ton so I guess I better make stuff with chicken broth.
    BTW, I'm sure you still looked better than all the people in the Wal-Mart...mismatched gym suit and all :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not dumb...I meant to spell "knew" correctly. Sorry!

    ReplyDelete