Sunday, November 1, 2009

I Just Love Getting a Deal!

I don't know if it's this whole economic crisis or what, but lately I have become like a giddy schoolgirl whenever I get a good deal. I've even started clipping, AND USING, coupons! What??? Those things are such a hassle, but they can definitely add up and give me a high that will last at least an evening, maybe even days! In general, the length of the high is proportional to how good a deal I got.

Take today for example. I went to a grocery store called Giant and I loaded up my cart with tons of items. The regular price for everything would've been $130. Now I know that nobody pays regular price. No doubt at least SOMETHING you buy will be on sale. But I walked out of there for about $68. That's almost half price! Even with a few coupons, I would normally expect about a $20 discount, not $62. Here's how I did it:

1. I clipped coupons from the paper on things that I definitely use, or might reasonably use.
2. I buy mostly things that are on sale already at the store
3. I then use a coupon for those already on sale items
4. And then use the store's coupon-doubling policy...which is something worth learning!

Was it a hassle? Most definitely! But to me it was worth it for some reason. True story: I got a little flustered while checking out and had to have the cashier suspend my order because all the coupons had me confused. I must've had about a dozen. And there were a few items I forgot because the coupon necessitated I purchase 2. (I'm a new coupon user and not accustomed to all the rules). So I left to grab my remaining items. When I was ready to re-check out, I noticed that my "$1 coupon doublers" were missing! Why me?? Do you know that I, figuring they blew out of the cart during my speed-shopping, searched every aisle looking for the missing coupons? And can you believe I found them? I was overjoyed. That probably saved me at least $3. I'm easy to please. Alright, I'm also neurotic. Dave gets a kick out of how excited I get while performing my bargain show-and-tell. Course he could care less how much I spend...just as long as the food keeps coming.

1 comment:

  1. That's hi-LAR-ious! I am the same way. It's almost like a game for me. I once caught a grocery store that was going out of business the next day and everything I bought was practically free! I was in heaven because I got to buy things I normally don't buy because I can't justify the high prices. Yay!

    ReplyDelete